New reports mention that Seung-Hui Cho was made fun of during class, probably on many occasions. When he was made to read out loud during an English class, he was ridiculed by classmates. Taunts included, "Go back to China". He was Korean. At least get the racism right.Anyways, being marginalized like that wasn't the main downfall of Cho. Most killers don't just "snap" randomly. It was most likely one incident in addition to many, that built up inside him. He just decided one day to finally act out his pre-planned revenge.
During Padre's homily yesterday, he told us to be aware of how we talk to and treat people. You never know, the things you say or do to a person may be enough to create a monster. So try to treat everyone around you with some humanity. It's the least we can do.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Other related thoughts have been running through my mind lately. I attended Mass at Our Lady of Refuge yesterday, a rare occasion, and the padre's homily there hit on a lot of those thoughts. What a coincidence.
In the wake of VaTech, I find it difficult to see or feel the presence of God in my daily routine. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or I'm not attuned to seeing Him. Maybe I should change my routine. Padre said that you can better see God if you have an active prayer life. I'll put his advice to the test.
When our faith is weakened or shaken, sometimes we seek refuge in our comforts, hobbies, and habits. In yesterday's gospel, the disciples went back to fishing to take their minds off Jesus' death. Like them, we seek refuge in comforts or material things. Some eat, drink, and/or party to pass the time easier. Personally, I bury myself in study, music, and working out.
In the same gospel, the risen Christ appeared to the disciples during their down time. It took them a while to figure out that it was actually Him. They even set up a camp fire and ate fish with Him before realizing that they were eating with Jesus.
I suppose it's the same way with us. He'll reveal Himself during the down times. We just have to recognize Him. It's not easy to do when the day-to-day is mundane. At times, you stop looking. I just have to look harder.


No comments:
Post a Comment