Super-Close Friends: I went to a talk by Matthew Kelly, acclaimed Catholic author and speaker, at Rel Ed Congress last SAT. He spoke mainly about topics from his book, "7 Levels of Intimacy". He doesn't confine "intimacy" to only the romantic type. He applies it to all types of relationships with people (i.e. friends, family, coworkers, etc). But we should engage in intimate and healthy relationships with those that bring out the best in us. For some of us, this entails having a relationship with someone that will help you get closer to God, and vice versa.
Regarding true friends, Kelly also spoke of another concept that really struck me, the concept of "hopes and dreams". We all have them, but we usually don't share them with just anyone. I realized something about my current relationships with various people. My close, intimate friends know of, or sincerely want to know about my hopes and dreams. Those same people pull for me to accomplish them. Some even went as far as proactively helping me to achieve my hopes and dreams.
These are indicators of truly intimate, godly friends. Some of you reading this now fall into that category. I hope that I am, or can become this type of friend to others. When you are this type of friend to someone, the friendship goes beyond ordinary. To me, it illustrates the best examples of kindness, charity, and compassion toward your fellow man. As a consequence, there is nothing that the friend would not do for you. For those that all of this applies to, know that you will be well taken care of by me.
The Quick Scan: I picked up a new, but useful habit from a friend last week. Another friend mentioned the same concept to me months ago, but I didn't think much of it back then. It makes so much sense, I don't know why it never occurred to me before.
When I come across a classy lady, I do a quick, discrete scan of her left hand, specifically her ring finger. Then a flowchart ensues...If ring present, then disengage. If no ring present, then proceed. Ever since last week, I've just been scanning everywhere I go: school, the gym, the coffee shop, etc. It's statistical observation. But it does save the trouble of guessing.
Let's have lunch today, friends.
UPRM Fred: i know now, try not to date girls below age 25
HEYitsMEabby: LOL
HEYitsMEabby: well, i believe everything happens for a reason
UPRM Fred: me too
HEYitsMEabby: you had your lana lang
HEYitsMEabby: but not your lois lane
UPRM Fred: ha
HEYitsMEabby: haha! you liked that one, huh?
Monday, March 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment