Thursday, February 22, 2007

The journey of solitude begins, the Lenten season. I was privileged to play for CSULB's Ash Wednesday Mass yesterday. Remy is part of the Newman's Club on campus and she asked me to help out. It was nice to see Catholic college students, I'd say 250-300, take the time to go to Mass at school. Kudos to them for their faith. Kudos to the Newman Club for being active in college, a place where many people go astray.

I was very touched during consecration. Maybe it's because I was only 15 feet from the Body, along with the other musicians. In any case, I will use that as a spark to start my Lenten renewal. The priest talked about sacrifice, of course. But he also mentioned that perhaps we can add an activity or behavior for Lent as well. For example, you could try to make amends with a person you've had difficulties with; or you could treat people more nicely.

So what did I give up? I gave up coffee (loaded with cream & sugar), which I got addicted to because of work and studying. I also gave up various comfort foods because, to a degree, they can become indulgent. I cannot give up meats/proteins because I need them to maintain my Kryptonian physiology, wherein my strength lies.

What will I add? I will try to be more proactive in being a positive, Christian influence around family, friends, coworkers, etc; especially when in the public eye. I'd like to be looked at as a stand-up, Catholic guy. I would not pull the "God" card out on people, though. Self-righteuousness doesn't work. Making people understand where you're coming from with a friendly tone is more effective.

This is how my journey begins. I wish you well on yours. Take care, my friends.

No comments: