Thursday, October 11, 2007

Playing the "game", for practice's sake - part 1

Only recently have I begun to research the "Mystery Method" (MM) in regards to male/female social dynamics and interactions. I'll share a story of when I used the MM in a real-world situation. I have another story that happened way before I even heard of the MM. In hindsight, I can see elements of the MM at work, and the "rights" and "wrongs" that I committed. But I'll share my most recent story first. I will use terms and define along the way, in order to familiarize you with the MM and its lingo.

I'm currently taking P.E. at LBCC. There's this one latin gal in class that I find to be a "9" or "10", at least in my book. I already know that she has a boyfriend because he's also in the class. So I never thought anything of her...until last class period.

I usually keep to myself and lift weights. Yesterday, I was lifting heavy dumbells overhead, for shoulder exercise. I was minding my own business when the "10" said to me, "Wow, I don't think I can lift even one of those (dumbells)..."

Initiating conversation is called the "opener". In this case, the girl "opened" to me. Usually, it's the guy "opening" to a girl or "set" of girls. But to stay consistent with the MM, and for practice's sake, I gave my own "opener"..."Ya know, maybe you're not meant to lift heavy weights..."

[I noticed that her BF was not in the immediate vicinity, so I decided to continue with the MM. No, I wasn't trying to home-wreck. I figured that I wasn't going to get her phone number anyways, so I might as well get some quality practice time in, especially with a "10".]

My "opener" perplexed her. I saw it in her face. I made that my "go" sign to keep the conversation running. "What I mean is, girls shouldn't lift heavy weights, or else they won't look like girls. They'll look like buff men." This drew a giggle out of her.

[Let me backtrack a little. The fact that she noticed me lifting weights is an "IOI" (indicator of interest) in my favor, which can be used as a topic of conversation.]

I continued with, "Usually, I lift a lot more weight than this. But these are the heaviest dumbells they have, so I just roll with it." That statement may sound cocky, but there's a purpose. I said it in a subtle way with nonchalant body language, so that she wouldn't think I was an A-hole. And she didn't, because we kept talking.

The above statement was 2 MM elements combined into 1. First, stating that I could lift a lot more weight showed "DHV" (demonstration of higher value). Since weightlifting was the "IOI", it followed logic. This "DHV" gave me more "value" than the other guys in the room, at that moment in time.

Secondly, my blahzay attitude was the act of "negging" her. It's the display of non-interest and/or indifference. "10's" usually know that they are the most beautiful girl in the room. Most guys would show too much interest and make aggressive advances. That may turn her off and make her defensive.

Throughout the conversation, I hardly looked at her. I was looking more at myself in the mirror lifting weights. "Negging". That probably threw her off. She's was probably wondering, "Why isn't this guy trying to hit on me?" There you have it, a "DHV" and "neg" in one motion.

I continued with the "neg" and said, "I'm gonna go over there to work on my arms. See ya..." Then I just got up and left.

Superfriends, you'll never guess what happened next. Visit my blog tomorrow to find out...

No comments: