Monday, February 12, 2007

A Blast From My Past

I was cleaning out emails from my CSULB account last week. I haven't done so in months. I came across one from Nov. '06. The sender's name was familiar, but I couldn't put a face to it. So what did I do? A MySpace search, of course! The internet is truly amazing. The results were conclusive. It turned out to be from a gal that I met back in 1992. 15 years ago!

I was a freshman at CSULB at the time. While on campus, a high school tour came through. I spotted this cute girl in the group. I just had to stop to talk to her. She was a senior from the bay area. We kicked it away from the tour for a while. We exchanged phone numbers and mailing addresses. HOME phone numbers and HOME mailing addresses, ha!

E-mail wasn't around yet. Neither were cell phones. We kept in touch the old-fashioned way. Since long-distance calls were costly, we became pen pals. Freakin' pen pals. Remember the days of writing actual LETTERS? We wrote to each other for a few years, here and there. Exchanged pictures, too. We'd lose touch, but make contact again somehow.

Her most recent email was the first contact I've had with her in 7-8 years. She's a single mom now, living in Hemet, CA., working as a pre-college academic advisor. We exchanged cell numbers and chatted on Yahoo. Welcome to the internet age. She wants to do lunch soon. It's hard to believe that we only met once. It'll be a trip to see her again after 15 years.

You're probably wondering...what am I going to do about it? Not too much. It'll be good to see her. But FYI, Hemet is about 90 miles from here. 90 miles one way. Plus, the whole "single mom" thing would be new to me. In short, hollering may be improbable.

In any case, it's always fun to find and catch up with someone from the past, especially when it's a nice lady friend. Schedules permitting, I may take a Hemet trip soon. That's how we do.

Thanks for listening, my friends. Have a great day.

No comments: